Dr Mark Fernandes is a gastroenterologist with a clinical interest in liver disease and digestive cancer screening. Dr Mark graduated from the University of Edinburgh with a B.Sc(Hons) in 1997 and MB ChB(Hons) in 2000. He obtained his MRCP(UK) in 2003 and was accredited as a Specialist in Gastroenterology by the Ministry of Health and admitted as a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine (Singapore) in 2007.
He pursued his advanced fellowship in liver cancer and hepatitis B at the chang gung memorial hospital in taiwan and also furthered his exposure to liver transplantation medicine at King’s College Hospital, London. Besides active involvement in the liver tumour ablative service and the liver transplantation programme at NUH, Dr Fernandes introduced the Fibroscan service to NUH. Dr Mark was previously on the committee for the National Foundation For Digestive Diseases.
Dr Mark’s main areas of clinic expertise include viral hepatitis including hepatitis B, C, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), weight management, liver cirrhosis, hepatocellular carcinoma and Fibroscan. He is also an accomplished endoscopist and is experienced at therapeutic endoscopy including haemostasis in GI bleeding, variceal branding, polypectomy, ligation of piles and feeding tube insertion (PEG).
- Dr Mark was awarded the Healthcare Manpower Development Programme (HMDP) scholarship by MOH in 2007.
- Dr Mark has been involved in many clinical research trials, authored peer-reviewed publications and has been invited to present his research work at international and regional conferences. His research interests and publications include basic science, epidemiology and clinical studies into gastrointestinal cancers, hepatitis B and liver transplant.
- Dr Mark has been recognised for his service excellence by being awarded the National Service Excellence (Gold), NUHS Sunny-Side Award and NUH Star Award for Service Excellence.
- Dr Mark has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and has presented his work at regional and international conferences.
- Dr Mark has received the National Service Excellence (Gold), NUHS Sunny-Side Award and NUH Star Award for Service Excellence.
- Dr Mark was previously a Clinical Tutor at the National University Hospital (NUH) and part of the Core Faculty for NUHS Internal Medicine Residency Programme.
- Dr Mark continues to be actively involved in organizing CME programmes for family physicians.