Dr Chia obtained his MBBS from the National University of Singapore in 1997. He went on to complete his basic specialty training and attained the Master of Medicine in Internal Medicine and admitted to the membership of the Royal College of Physicians from the United Kingdom in 2002. In 2006, he was awarded the HMDP scholarship by Ministry of Health, Singapore, and underwent subspecialty training at the Liver Unit at Kings’ College Hospital, London. He was admitted as a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine for both Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine.
He is also a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (Edinburgh). He received his Master of Science in Health Profession Education from MGH Institute of Health Profession. He was appointed as Adjunct Associate Professor at the YLL School of Medicine, National University of Singapore and LKC School of Medicine, Nanyang Technological University.
English, Mandarin, Teochew, Cantonese, Hokkien, Malay
Dr Chia Chung King is a specialist in gastroenterology with sub-specialisation in hepatology. He is also an internal medicine specialist. His subspecialist clinical interests include cirrhosis, liver cancer, fatty liver, hepatitis B and hepatitis C. Being also an experienced internal medicine specialist, he is often asked to solve difficult cases by his colleagues. He believes that the key in good clinical care is to listen carefully to the patients and consider all possibilities with an open mind to help patients get the correct diagnosis. He also strongly advocates the role of healthy lifestyle in maintaining good health.
He is also an accomplished endoscopist who constantly updates himself with the latest endoscopic techniques and tools.
- Dr Chia has won many teaching awards, quality and service-related awards while working in Tan Tock Seng Hospital; Including Best Teacher Award 2005/6, Top 10 Teacher award 2012/2013, Excellent Service Award (Silver 2004, 2009 and gold 2005), Service Champion Award 2005/2006. He also has a recognition award for Quality Assurance (2003).
- Dr Chia was also awarded the Courage Star by President Nathan of Singapore, for putting himself at risk, tending to SARS patients in the front line.
- Dr Chia won the Medical Teacher Poster Prize at AMEE 2012, a conference for medical teachers held in France that year.
- Research wise, Dr Chia won NFDD young researcher award back in 2004. He is the site investigator for a multi-year, multi-centre GCEP study focusing on screening and prevention of stomach cancer. His publications focus is on prevention of stomach cancer.
- Dr Chia has taught and mentored many medical students and residents. He has taught Advance Specialist Trainees and Senior Residents therapeutic and diagnostic gastroscopy and colonoscopy and he was the designated supervisor going through all the clinic cases by registrars and medical officers weekly for many years.
- Dr Chia has held various education posts including Associate Dean for Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, Chairman of Internal Medicine Training Program for Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Associate Program Director for Internal Medicine Residency Program, Program Director for Transitional Year and PGY-1 Residency Program for National Healthcare Group.