Dr Chong graduated from University of Malaya in 2009 as a dean list top student. He began his basic medical training in Singapore as house officer, subsequently pursuing his specialist training in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology under National University Health System (NUHS) Residency Program Singapore. He attained the Master of Medicine (MMed) and Membership of the Royal College of Physician (MRCP) from the United Kingdom in 2013. In 2016, he was accredited as a specialist in Gastroenterology by the Ministry of Health and admitted as a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine Singapore.
English, Mandarin, Malay, Cantonese and Hakka.
Dr Chong has extensive experience in the field of hepatology (liver disease) due to his clinical load and experience from various clinical trials. He was involved in many clinical trials from viral hepatitis B, hepatitis C, liver cirrhosis to liver transplantation during his days in restructured hospital. On top of that, he was trained to perform enhanced imaging endoscopy and water-immersion colonoscopy, which is a special technique designed to increase the success rate for difficult colonoscopy and to detect colon cancer. Academically, he is currently a board member of the Chapter of Gastroenterologists, involved in writing various professional guidelines for Academy of Medicine Singapore.
- 2014 – Young Investigator Award Oral Presentation 2014
- 2019 – Clinical Service Excellence Award
- Cost analysis of liver transplantation in National University Hospital, Singapore. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2014
- Trans-arterial chemoembolization as a viable alternative to radiofrequency ablation: a study on early to intermediate hepatocellular carcinoma in an Asian population. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.2014
- When can we stop nucleoside analogues in patients with chronic hepatitis B? Liver International 2017
- Clinical guidance on endoscopic management of colonic polyps in Singapore. Singapore Medical Journal.2020
- Chapter of Gastroenterologists professional guidance for management of patients with liver disease in Singapore during the COVID-19 pandemic. Singapore Medical Journal. 2020
- Chapter of Gastroenterologists professional guidance on risk mitigation for gastrointestinal endoscopy during COVID-19 pandemic in Singapore. Singapore Medical Journal. 2020
- Ectopic Ascending Colonic Variceal Bleeding Treated with Balloon-Occluded Retrograde Transvenous Obliteration in a Decompensated Liver Cirrhosis Patient—2021, A Hepatology Perspective. Case Reports in Clinical Medicine.
- A Rare Case of Retrogastric Abscess Occurring Six Months after N-Butyl-2-Cyanoacrylate Injection into Gastric Varices. Case Reports in Medicine. 2018
Dr Chong was core faculty for NUS and NHG Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine Residency programs and involved in the training of young gastroenterologists and internal medicine physicians.
He was clinical lecturer for medical students from both NUS Yong Loo Lin school of medicine and Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine.